Saturday, February 28, 2009

Two Sketchbooks Ago...

Two sketch books ago was last summer, during and after the month long stay in France. Looking at the them I saw my enthusiasm and growth. I don't know why I hadn't used some of my pages for my portfolio earlier, but I'm getting on it. Here's a sneak preview: This is an artisan bread maker in action by Pier 39. He was working behind a large panel of glass so tourists could watch him roll out dough bears, dough crabs, dough alligators, etc. There was even a button and speaker people could press to talk the baker. It was pretty cool to watch (and sketch). But with so many people around, a couple of them brought attention to the baker I was drawing him... I (reluctantly) showed him the sketch. And I don't think he liked it. hahaha. Yes I exaggerated the nose but he, as well as a not-so-quiet tourist, didn't find that to be particularly appealing.
Ugh there's just too much pressure in showing portraits to the persons I draw. If I know they're going to see it, I feel like I have to capture likeness and flattery. Then I end up not being able to draw them at all. I don't want people to not like it.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

No comments: